Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Fanboys Rejoice

With both Serenity and Mirrormask opening this weekend, I've been planning for, well, not months, but it's been in the back of my mind, certainly.

Unfortunately it's a busy weekend (playing music), and I'm not sure I'll be able to make it to both. And that, honestly, kind of sucks a little. The world is finally catering to my tastes, and I'm busy. I feel so impolite.

I had been thinking of it as Nerd Weekend, but National Geek Day sounds so much more celebratory. Plus it was Joss Whedon's term, which incurs automatic deference. Check out a Time sit-down with both Joss and Neil Gaiman here. (Wherein it is frankly explained why Hollywood product smells like pee.)

But are we geeks really so mainstream now? I'd like to think so, but there's still this crushing shame. Or is that just me?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How have I not heard of Mirrormask before now?

It seems very much in the tone of Labyrinth from the small snippet I saw at the website. This may be a must-rent.

I say must-rent because trips to the movie theater are few and far between these days. Time and money are both in short supply.

On a completely unrelated note, what do you think of Bush's dictator-like desire to get the military more involved in domestic affairs?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051005/ap_on_he_me/bush_avian_flu

10/05/2005 4:07 AM  
Blogger blerg3000 said...

From what I've read, Henson is actually banking on it being in the tone of Labyrinth (and The Dark Crystal), in that same vein of, "Hey, these movies have made a ton of money for us on video. Let's recreate that." But they offered Dave McKean and Neil Gaiman a pittance and complete freedom, so it seems like good corporate governance to me. And call it a definite must-rent.

I have thoughts on that military quarantine topic, but it might be a post's worth. (And yes, I actually listened to the press conference.)

10/10/2005 8:37 PM  
Blogger Adam807 said...

I emailed this to you already, but I ought to share with your other readers...
http://avclub.com/content/node/24238

An old interview with Joss Whedon about why the Buffy movie was poo (campy fun, but poo) and how Donald Sutherland's not acting when he plays a bastard on Commander in Chief.

10/18/2005 6:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home