Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Several months later...

Why hello, are you still here? Gosh, I must say I'm flattered. Baffled as well, but happy all the same.

So am I the only blogger (using the term loosely, it's hardly a complete self-description or definition) who writes posts and never actually posts them? No, it's probably just me, or at least I'm sure I'm in a minority.

At least, I'm sure it's me. It's actually very, very me. To have my interest caught by a topic and consider it, think of things to say about it, organize my thoughts in the form of a quasi-essay, possibly with devices, and then say, "Hmm... Maybe later," and repeat step 1. That's me. Unless I stumble across a forum, I generally don't share much. It's the formulation that's fun for me, and one of the things I liked about blogging way back when (April?) was that it pushed that formulation. It generates its own forum too, but clearly that's not the fun part for me.

At some point I noticed I could write without hitting the publish button, and, well, here's this lapse that we have now. Plus that way I don't have to go through the bother of proofreading and updating links. Also that way I'm not publicly pontificating about stuff in the news where I honestly only know about 2% of the subject, etc.

It's not exactly intuitive, but leaving posts indefinitely open-ended streamlines the process quite nicely.

But then there's you. Look, you're still here reading me prattle on about something that can't possibly be interesting, and you'll want to read more of this tomorrow. How can I disappoint somebody like that? You might be dangerous.

So let me apologize now for failing to lessen the daily boredom of several people. At least 3, I think. I'll publish a couple of these just-lying-around posts right quick. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow. Just as soon as I proofread them and update some links...


However, "Getting some things off my chest in the form of an open fan letter to Mitchell Hurwitz" will simply never be published because of several unforgivably cruel things said about my own family. I'm certain we're all better off without it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Adam807 said...

You're not alone. And yet you are. So very very alone.

I do most of my writing, even for my blog, in Word, and I have many unfinished thoughts that never got a punch-line and therefore never got cut-and-paste into Blogger. I imagine it's quite common. Or maybe you and I are just freaks, but that might explain why we've been friends for ten years.

12/13/2005 8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you didn't get the nickname "Silent" for nothing. And yes, my boredom has been lessened. And yes, I might be dangerous. :)

I have written and not posted on a couple of occasions, but I tend to do that more with e-mails.

12/14/2005 8:38 AM  
Blogger blerg3000 said...

So it's not just me then? I wonder if we could organize a poll on this, I'm curious.

I was never crazy about "Silent" as a nickname, even though I do appreciate the referent. But then I guess "Selectively Verbal" would be a bit on the wordy side.

12/15/2005 1:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't like Moth when it was first given to me, but it grew on me.

And there are worse synonyms, such as Mum or Dumb, than Silent. :)

12/16/2005 4:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home