Tuesday, December 20, 2005

A Viewer's Response

I've noticed that I write a lot about MTV here, and I might have figured out why this is. Unlike other subjects -- world events, the arts, people, places, things -- simply watching MTV with three or more active brain cells fully qualifies one to write about it. So no matter what I say, I can write with complete authority. It's not like I'll be contradicted by somebody with greater expertise.

Sure, the president seems to think that the oath of office is a valid check on executive power, which is on its face laughable. Sure, if you listen to him speak in more than sound bite snippets you notice how many of his arguments are tautological, which strikes me as weirdly close to fanatical thinking. But oo, hey, what's that, hah -- moving pictures shiny.


And as such...

My Super Sweet Sixteen isn't a show I'd recommend. In fact, if anything, I'd recommend never watching it and not allowing it on your television even for an instant. Because as soon as you do, you're stuck -- an inescapable train wreck of terrifying proportions. And for what? It's awful people behaving like the despicable, selfish germs they are, and I'm incapable of turning it off. Afterwards, I feel dirty. It's just that evil.

The people in it -- well, the children and parents -- are so removed from reality that I always want terrible, terrible things to happen to them. Just to bring them back from that edge, to ground them a little better. The wife and I were watching an episode earlier and had the following exchange:

Me: "I think I've figured out what this show needs. Immolation."
TW: "Immolation?"
Me: "Yeah."
TW: "What's immolation?"
Me: "Setting people on fire."

(You might note from the cadences that, yes, watching this show actively makes you stupider.)

But now I wonder if setting self-absorbed rich people and their satanic offspring on fire might not be the entertainment product of the future. There could be a market for this.

Though, in fairness, MTV casts people who have so embraced solipsism that my first question inevitably becomes: Would they even notice?

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What isn't better with immolation?

12/20/2005 4:29 AM  
Blogger Adam807 said...

Did the wife really not know what immolation meant??

As in "immolation-a-gram!"

12/20/2005 5:26 AM  
Blogger blerg3000 said...

Wow. I was really afraid I was being too harsh when I wrote that, and here you both are with "Yay! Immolation!"

My readers...

12/20/2005 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am sure you can count on us to help cross the lines whenever needed. :)

12/21/2005 5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home