Saturday, January 07, 2006

A Juvenile Running Joke from "The 40 Year Old Virgin" or: The Post Where I Share Too Much and Alienate My Readers

It's a good thing I'm married because The 40 Year Old Virgin DVD was way too obvious a Christmas gift for me. And much appreciated too.

Then, since my brother and his girlfriend came out to visit over New Years and since they're in serious decompression mode for the week and a half they have off from med school, much of the visit consisted of sitting around, watching some television and a few movies. And there it was, The 40 Year Old Virgin on DVD... We watched the movie, the extras, and the wife and I watched the commentary track after our houseguests left. It's quite good if your sense of humor runs that way; clearly mine does.

Of course the "You know how I know you're gay?" joke got stuck in my head. That's pretty much the gag, it's a sort of white guy snaps routine, expressed in exchanges like: "You know how I know you're gay?" "How?" "I saw you make a spinach dip in a loaf of sourdough bread once." And suchlike, usually far less clean.

Monday afternoon I realized I had the following, just by describing the situation I was in at the moment.

"You know how I know you're gay?"
"How?"
"You're reading the Chronicles of Narnia in a spa waiting for a fruit therapy facial treatment."

Just awful, I had to put the book away. Fashion magazines didn't seem like a better option, so I sat quietly and stared at the wall.

In own my defense, though, it was half price and utilized alpha and beta hydroxy fruit acids. Also my skin looks great now, relatively speaking.

5 Comments:

Blogger Adam807 said...

The book doesn't make you gay, it makes you a nerd. So putting it down really didn't help your case.

And your brother is going to be a doctor????!!

1/08/2006 8:38 AM  
Blogger blerg3000 said...

Oof. So you're saying what, now, exactly?

And yeah, a doctor. Insert your own joke here, e.g. He's so good with people I guess it just seemed like a natural path.

1/08/2006 11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you should star in "In and Out" replacing Kevin Kline. :)

1/09/2006 2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy and I just watched it this weekend, it was very amusing. :) There were times I could tell it was improv for the lines, but it didn't detract too much.

1/17/2006 4:53 AM  
Blogger Rob said...

Wow, Marc, I'll never be able to look at you the same after reading that...

6/06/2007 10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home