Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A revealing post written for myself, peculiarly in a public forum

In Seattle for a few days of meetings for a job that I'm thoroughly planning to not have in less than a month and a half. As planning pushes forward into 2007, I'm feeling more than a little off. The "Why am I here?" aspect of daily professional activities grows more acute, and I'm reasonably certain I arrived at a resignation timetable in this morning's review. At tonight's activity (sponsored booze cruise) I came this close to asking a boss's boss what fair notice would be for X, just to follow with "Let's say 4 weeks."

Memorable? Sure. Bad form? Absolutely. Ultimately, I suppose I'm not that much of an asshole and prefer to be recalled as whatever I am, perspectival veracity rather than the grand gesture. (Reasonably, I have enough history in this industry to not want to burn every bridge at once, neat as that would be.)

I love this city, by the by. It feels like a comfortable old friend I just recently met, more or less always has.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some professional advice from someone who has been in management and HR related activities for the past 12 years. NEVER burn a bridge unless you have become independently wealthy and can afford to buy a helicopter to fly you over the chasm.

2 examples:
-My current boss is my old boss's best friend. 'nuff said.

-Fairly recent example from another department at my work. An employee switched from University side to Med Center side. Then transfers to another department. Old boss from University side transfers to Med Center side into same department. Same employee/boss relationship from over two years ago recreated in a completely different department by random chance.

A month's notice should be plenty of time for most jobs, and if you can end things at a convenient time (end of pay period, end of project, or something along those lines) that always goes a ways towards helping smooth things. But also look at what is convenient and beneficial for you.

Start looking into the policies on what, if any time gets paid out, how it is tracked, etc... to make sure that you have the same numbers the company does so that you know what you are entitled to. Check for accrual dates to make sure you don't screw yourself out of any time.

For example, I get my vacation accrual each month on the 14th, so leaving on the 13th of a month would be shortchanging myself by over an extra day's pay.

Another example from my days at Tufts. A woman was going to quit at the end of June, but by working Monday July 3rd she earned her vacation time for July, earned her 2 personal days for the new fiscal year, and basically took the 4th holiday, the 5th and 6th as personal days, and worked the Friday the 7th to complete the week. By working the Monday and Friday she picked up 3 days off that week and got her 1.66 days additional vacation time which was paid out to her in her final check. Working 2 days to get paid for almost 7 is a nice trade. :)

7/19/2006 5:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home