Saturday, October 28, 2006

Quote of the Day

Is it a cop-out of a post? Yes. But in addition, these are (a) easy, and (b) perfectly reflective of what I spend all my time doing now, which is reading. It's a word-intensive program, apparently.

So would you rather have a quote, a post about how much I read, or nothin'? If there are opinions out there, let me know. I'll probaby ignore them. Anyhoo, it's a whole passage this time. It's nice to be reading philosophy again.

"Protection, therefore, against the tyranny of the magistrate is not enough; there needs protection also against the tyranny of the prevailing opinion and feeling; against the tendency of society to impose, by other means than civil penalties, its own ideas and practices as rules of conduct on those who dissent from them; to fetter the development, and, if possible, prevent the formation, of any individual not in harmoy with its ways, and compel all characters to fashion themselves upon the model of its own. There is a limit to the legitimate interference of collective opinion with individual independence; and to find that limit, and maintain it against encroachment, is as indespensable to a good condition of human affairs, as protection against political despotism."

From On Liberty (1859), by John Stuart Mill.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So political despotism is bad? How are we supposed to teach kids that in today's political climate? :)

My vote is for to post whatever you want, it's your blog. I think my own blog proves that I live by that rule. :)

10/30/2006 3:52 AM  
Blogger blerg3000 said...

Yes. But in addition, the interference and tyranny of majority opinion can be considered as bad, as harmful to the individual.

(I thought you of all people would appreciate that...)

It is, interestingly, a much stronger argument than needed in defense of using this blog as I please.

10/30/2006 9:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But, but, if "the interference and tyranny of majority opinion can be considered as bad, as harmful to the individual" then what happens to "One of us! One of us!"?

10/31/2006 9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home