Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Progress is...

...rather than pulling an all-nighter the night before a big paper's due, pulling an all-nighter the night before the night before.

But what did I have the next morning? I wouldn't call it a lump of coal to be edited into a diamond; it was more like a pile of dung to be wrapped in tin foil.

And so, progress is not... Pulling an another all-nighter the following night and still handing in the damn thing late.

Which I'm fine with. Somehow I still feel better than I than I did about the previous writing assignment. My biggest regrets are missing lunch with a professor and losing any high ground I had to complain about the assignment itself, which I considered a disaster (outside of my performance).

The past week has been punishment with little or no reward, made more frustrating by the fact that there's perfectly gainful punishment that had to be put on hold.


Assorted notes from the past few days:


Weekend listening focused on...
Modest Mouse, We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
Louis Sclavis, L'imparfait des langues
David Torn, Prezens

(All are awesome.)

I'm reasonably certain that community aspects of struggling through this train wreck of a project will ultimately be more valuable than the writing experience.

Okay, the research experience was worthwhile too.

Around 10 pm Sunday I had cause to think, "Brief 1, me 0, silverfish -1." Even if I yelped when the bug came at me.

I have fallen far and quickly down the coffee rabbit hole. A year ago I despised it. Now it's a companion, and I don't need half & half. Next up, no sugar.

Floyd has been my furry little study buddy. He snores.

I miss beer. Oh G-d how I miss beer.

Happy birthday to my brother, who doesn't read this blog.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger mcm said...

Dude, you kicked that silverfish's ASS. (Even if its legs were still wiggling minutes later.)

I think you're a total rock star.

4/25/2007 12:50 PM  
Blogger Adam807 said...

Why do you miss beer? Did it walk out on you or something?

4/25/2007 8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"The past week has been punishment with little or no reward, made more frustrating by the fact that there's perfectly gainful punishment that had to be put on hold."

I didn't know you and the wife were into that kind of scene. :)

Hang in there, it is worth it in the end. And as for beer, you can have some, you just have to limit it to 1 really good one and savor every drop.

4/26/2007 3:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

11/11/2008 4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home