Thursday, August 25, 2005

Nobody Told Me There Was an O*A*D

A while ago NPR's Morning Edition included a brief story on the publication of the latest edition of the New Oxford American Dictionary.

Apparently it includes "fanboy," defined as "an obsessive enthusiast of comic books and other areas of geek culture."

I feel a little like I'm finally somebody, and that somebody is sad...

Though just from the two examples given, "fanboy" and "advergame," I worry that as Americans we have an irrational need for new words.


Which reminds me that I want to change officomancy (from here) to corporomancy. Just because I like the sound of it better.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe new words are our problem. Maybe we need to revert back to the 17th century or so and make everyone use words only available then. It is kind of hard to be angry with someone who says forsooth.

9/08/2005 3:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is too funny. Today's yahoo daily e-mail?

http://www.myfavoriteword.com/

9/08/2005 3:40 AM  
Blogger blerg3000 said...

I admit it would be hard to be angry with somebody who said forsooth, but it would also be really difficult to take them seriously... Maybe the problem is creating words that are actually vacuums of meaning.

9/18/2005 9:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home